Losing a family member in a Car Accident: What to do?
If your family member passed away in a car accident, you absolutely want to get justice to whoever is responsible for the pain they caused you. They may face criminal charges for the accident and getting an attorney can also help you pursue a civil claim and recover compensation for your loved one’s pain and suffering as well as your financial damages.
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Medical care costs
- Lost wages through the date of death
- Lost income because of their death
- Lost inheritance for surviving children
- The value of support and services they provided
- The value of parental care and guidance they provided
AGAINST THE AT-FAULT DRIVER
- Depending on the facts of the case, the at-fault driver may face criminal charges for their role in your family member’s death. This is especially true if they were driving recklessly, were drunk, or otherwise impaired. While a criminal conviction may make you feel somewhat vindicated, it does nothing to pay your accident-related bills. Families often feel worse when a liable driver gets nothing more than a slap on the wrist for causing their loved one’s death.
- In New York State, they allow you to take civil action against the person or party who caused your loved ones accident and death. It is known as a wrongful death claim, have two parts: a survivorship action and the wrongful death action.
- Survivor ship action – recovers compensation for any conscious pain and suffering your loved one experienced before they passed away.
- Wrongful death action – allow the surviving family members to collect economic damages related to the accident.
CONTACT A WRONGFUL DEATH ATTORNEY TO LEARN MORE
When a loved one dies because of another actions, his/her family members can pursue a claim on the victim’s behalf. Seek legal representation as soon as possible. Contact a wrongful death attorney near you.